Wednesday 18 March 2015

Looking for the Aurora Borealis from Cornwall

Last night (17th-18th) the Aurora Borealis was seen from the UK. After having a red alert from the Aurora Watch UK service at Lancaster University I had a look for it just after midnight.

I couldn't really see anything from just outside Truro, although the sky seemed a bit brighter I wasn't sure whether that was just a bit of mist illuminated by artificial lights. I think the peak of the storm was slightly earlier, when it was partly cloudy where I was.

Have a look at the link below to see pictures from other people who did see it.
Aurora Watch UK Flickr Group

My own pictures are as follows:

Looking North, with Lyra and part of Cygnus. 15s, f/2 35mm lens. Nikon D90
Looking NW, with the constellation Cassiopaea 15s, f/3.5 18-70mm lens at 18mm. Nikon D90
Looking N, 15s, f/3.5 18-70mm lens. Nikon D90

No comments:

Post a Comment